ID Numbers

Adobe Reader

Completing the Form

ID Numbers

Q. Why is the FEIN required?

A. Your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) is used as your filing identification number to correctly identify and track all of your filings.

If you do not have a FEIN the Commission will assign a unique number to the business entity. Once assigned, the business entity will be responsible for remembering it for any inquiries concerning filings and any future reporting to the Commission.

Q. What can I do if I lost or forgot my ELEC Identification Number?

A. DO NOT apply for a new number if you lost or forgot the ELEC Identification Number. The same number needs to be used for every filing to properly identify the business entity filing the report. Contact the Commission's Help Desk by calling (609) 292-8700 or Toll Free within New Jersey at 1-888-313-ELEC (3532) during regular business hours.

Adobe Reader

Q. I downloaded the Form BE but I can't open it. I have Adobe Reader installed on my computer but it still won't open.

A. You need to have the most current version of Adobe Reader installed to be able to open these forms. Upgrade by downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader software for FREE.

Q. I know I need to upgrade my version of Adobe Reader but when I try to upgrade, the "Reader" site tells me the newest available version for my system is 6.0. What should I do?

A. Your computer may be running Windows ME. You will need to use another computer with either Windows 2000 SP4 or XP SP2 in order to upgrade the latest version of Adobe Reader. If you don't have access to another computer you can go to your nearest public library or you can come to ELEC and use a computer in the public room.

Q. I am using Chrome and I get an error message when I try to open the form that says I need to upgrade my reader, even though I am using a later version of reader.

A. Closing Chrome and using Internet Explorer as your Internet Browser, should correct this error.

Completing the Form

Q. When I try to open the Form BE I receive a message that says the file is damaged. What should I do?

A. It sounds like you have an older version of the free Adobe Reader. In order to use the form BE you need to upgrade to Adobe Reader 8.0. Upgrade today by downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader software for FREE.

Q. If a business entity has only fair and open contracts does it have to file the Form BE?

A. Yes. All business entities that have received $50,000 or more in a calendar year from contracts or agreements with public entities in New Jersey are required to file the Form BE, regardless of whether or not the contracts are fair and open.

Q. Is a business entity required to file if no reportable contributions were made during the calendar year?

A. If the business entity received $50,000 or more in a calendar year from contracts or agreements with public entities in New Jersey, then yes, the business entity is required to complete the first page and must check the box under the acknowledgement stating that the business entity has made no reportable contributions.

Q. I checked the box stating the business entity has not made any reportable contributions and the rest of the form disappeared. How do I enter contract information?

A. If a business entity has made no reportable contributions, then you are not required to report contract information. The rest of the form will no longer appear. Filing the first page will fulfill the business entity’s filing obligation for the year.

Q. A business entity has only three public contracts worth $20,000 each for a total of $60,000, but it only received $30,000 in compensation for those contracts in the calendar year. Is the Form BE required to be filed?

A. No. Since the business entity did not receive more than $50,000 in the calendar year from government contracts or agreements, the Form BE is not required to be filed.

Q. I filed the Form BE, but forgot to include a few contributions. What should I do?

A. File an amended Form BE.

Q. How do I file an amended Form BE?

A. Locate the saved Form BE on your computer. Make all necessary changes and re-save the Form BE using the “save-as” feature. Follow the same steps to re-file your amended Form BE as you used to file the initial report. Contact the Commission’s Help Desk at 1-888-313-ELEC(3532) if you need filing assistance.

Q. If a contract does not have an identification number, can the field be left blank?

A. Yes

Q. How do I report a refunded contribution on the Form BE?

A. If the refund was made within the required timeframe you do not have to report the contribution. However, if the refund was made after the required timeframe, the contribution and the refund must be reported as two separate entries. After entering the contribution information, select Add A New Contribution. Enter the same contributor name and address. From the Contribution Type, select Refund. The Contribution Date and Contribution Amount fields will change to Refund Date and Refund Amount respectively. Enter the date of the refund. Enter the amount of the refund as a negative number. Example: Enter a refund of $2,400.25 as -2400.25.

The refund must is reported as a separate refunded amount in the negative so that the sum of the two entries reflects the refund.

Note: For State contracts, the business entity must request and receive the refund within 30 days of making the contribution. There is no cure for contributions made within 60 days of a gubernatorial election.

For Legislative, County and Municipal contracts, the business entity must request and receive the refund within 60 days of making the contribution.


Back to top

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader