Please do not use the browser "Back" button while navigating the database pages and record request forms. Instead click on the "Back to Main Page" button below to return to the list of searchable databases and online records request forms.
- We now accept credit card payments. Or print the request form and pay by check or money order.
- You may combine up to 10 records from different databases and record request forms in a single order.
This database indexes approximatly 12,253 legal name change documents, and 46,008 original and new legal names (the spouse and/or children are often included in the name change). The majority of the documents belong to the Archives' record series, Department of State / Division of Commercial Recording / Name-Change Judgments, 1876-1947
. The database also references earlier name changes done by legislative act, as well as a number of name-change judgments found among the Secretary of State’s Miscellaneous Fillings (Series II).
The index may be searched by any combination of first and/or last name, and filtered by original or new legal name.
Entering the initial letter or string of letters into the name fields will return all records beginning with that string. To search a string within a name use the wildcard character * followed by the string. For example, the surname "Smith" may be searched to include the variant "Smyth" by entering "Sm*th" in last name field. To sort the search results click on the header
of each column.
- To order a copy, click "Select" next to the record.
- Selected records are added to the shopping cart at the bottom of the page.
- Click the "Back to Main Page" button to continue searching or request additional records.
- Click "Check Out" or "View Cart" and follow the payment instructions to order copies.
- Please read the instructions on the shopping cart page and order form carefully.