This database indexes death certificates filed with the New Jersey Department of Health from June 1878 through June 1895. It includes over 486,650 records. Data is being entered from the original indexes, and will ultimately include all death certificates through December 31, 1900.
Note that in addition to death certificates, the database also includes some burial, reburial, transit, and disinterment permits (denoted as "BP", "RP", "TP", and "DI" respectively). The date recorded for permits indicates the date the permit was issued; the actual date of death may be earlier, sometimes significantly earlier.
Location refers to the county and locality where the death was registered. In the case of permits, the location refers to where the permit was issued. The database also captures gender and age at time of death. In cases where the index does not indicate age and/or gender, "U" has been entered. Results are limited to 500 records per search.
The index may be searched by any combination of first and/or last name, county, gender, race, and/or years.
Entering the initial letter or string of letters into the name fields will return all records beginning with that letter or string. To search a string within a name, use the wildcard character * followed by the string. For example, the surname "Smith" may be searched to include the variant "Smyth" by entering "Sm*th" in last name field. To sort the search results click on the header
of each column.
- To order a copy, click "Select" next to the record.
- Selected records are added to the shopping cart at the bottom of the page.
- Click the "Back to Main Page" button to return to the list of searchable databases and records request forms.
- Click "Check Out" or "View Cart" and follow the payment instructions to order copies.
- Please read the instructions on the shopping cart page and order form carefully.