Please do not use the browser "Back" button while navigating the database pages and record request forms. Instead click on the "Back to Main Page" button below to return to the list of searchable databases and online records request forms.
- We now accept credit card payments. Or print the request form and pay by check or money order.
- You may combine up to 10 records from different databases and record request forms in a single order.
This database indexes 69,302 names from the 1885 New Jersey State Census, the fourth decennial census enumerated by the State and the earliest to have survived in full. Through volunteer efforts, two portions of the enumeration have been indexed. Specifically, Marie Hook indexed the schedule for Atlantic City and Nancyann Carkeek indexed Passaic County (completed by State Archives staff). New Jersey State Archives gratefully acknowledges the considerable time and effort dedicated to this work by these volunteers.
All database entries include first and last name. The entries for Atlantic City also include age range, gender, and race.
The database may be searched by any combination of first name, last name, and/or place of enumeration.
Entering the initial letter or string of letters into the name fields will return all records beginning with that string. To search a string within a name use the wildcard character * followed by the string. For example, the surname "Smith" may be searched to include the variant "Smyth" by entering "Sm*th" in last name field. To sort the search results click on the header of each column.
- To order a copy, click "Select" next to the record.
- Selected records are added to the shopping cart at the bottom of the page.
- Click the "Back to Main Page" button to continue searching or request additional records.
- Click "Check Out" or "View Cart" and follow the payment instructions to order copies.
- Please read the instructions on the shopping cart page and order form carefully.